Thursday, July 23, 2009

Every November my cat gets small dry skin patches on her head that peel the hair off too!!?

I have a one year old kitten, got her October of 2005. In November of 2005 she got 1 or 2 very small spots (the side of a pencil eraser) on the very top of her head there were almost like thin scabs. Once these "fell off" it left a small circular hairless area where the scab had been. The skin was still healthy and pink, and the kitten did not scratch or seem irritated at all. It lasted a week and then the hair grew back and she was normal. Now it is November again, and while petting her a couple of days ago, I noticed a peeling dry skin patch the size of a nickel on the top of her ear. I peeled off the entire area of dry skin, it was a little thick, a little rough/scaly feeling, but her hair came off with it!!! Almost like the layers of skin through to her hair follicles had dried up and just separated from her ear! Once again, the area beneath is pink and soft, not irritated or dry. She doesn't scratch it at all, and doesn't seem uncomfortable with I touch it. Any clues?



Every November my cat gets small dry skin patches on her head that peel the hair off too!!?

You need to call the vet... My cat was having a similar problem, it turned out to be not serious, but I'm glad I had it checked it out. Every fall we start giving him tuna instead of wet food, the oil is good for their dry skin %26amp; it keeps it moisturized during the winter months



Every November my cat gets small dry skin patches on her head that peel the hair off too!!?

sounds like ringworm. Call the vet, describe what you are seeing, he can tell you what to use, or if he needs to see the cat. Be very careful to observe the area closely. Do you see little dots around the edge of the circle? I spend at least one day a month at the vet's office, between keeping up with immunizations on my cats and taking care of medical needs of those I foster. One thing I have found out is that the better you are at describing the symptoms, the more likely it is that they will just dispense a medicine without seeing the cat. It all depends on how well your vet knows you and trusts your judgement.

1 comment:

  1. I was researching my own cat's dry skin when I came across your post. My cat's symptoms are different from yours, but I did find this which may be what you cat has. Go to the site: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=207
    and scroll down to Sebaceous adenitis.
    I'm not a vet and have no clue if this is what your cat has, but it sounds like the same symptoms. Good luck with your cat.

    ReplyDelete