Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Caucasian, taking a trip, want dread extensions or dookie braids?

Hey. I've done about all there is I can do with my hair - I wear it curly, straight, wavy, flicked up, curled under - something different every day. I've always changed the color - I've been everything but platinum or green. I've even had pink hair. I just love artistic expression through changing my appearance, not to mention I'm good at it. I've wanted to have dookie braids or long dreads for years but I've been afraid of being judged by the African American community for wanting to be something I'm not. The truth is, I just love ethnic hairstyles. This summer, I'm taking a group trip to Israel with young people and I want to give braids or dreads a chance. Bad idea? I've never done it, so what do I need to look for in a braid shop, how much should I expect to pay, how long should I expect to be there (I have bobbed hair, but I definately want tricked out colors, thickness, and longer length so I'll have them braid in extensions)? Also, will dookies or dreads last 3 weeks?



Caucasian, taking a trip, want dread extensions or dookie braids?

girl......don't u worry one bit about being judged.....if that's what you want, and you are a paying client.....they won't have a problem....but if you do want to avoid any drama, make an appointment earlier in the week...like tuesday or wednesday......its usually a little slower those days in black salons......you never said where u lived.......i have a braider who would love to do your hair.....but my salon is in marlyand.......ps.....i'm a white girl....and i own a black salon.....go figure!!!.....lol



Caucasian, taking a trip, want dread extensions or dookie braids?

Afro-American Beauty Salon



Caucasian, taking a trip, want dread extensions or dookie braids?

You can search online for a hair salon that specializes in braids. It should be able to give you all of the information that you will need, along with pictures of styles. However, why do you want Dookie Braids? Those went out of style back in the early 90's with Kwame and the Polka Dot shirt. Also, they aren't very stylish. You might want to try cornrows. They can be done in various sizes from very thick to very thin, and can be done in some really cute styles that can be worn casual or dressy.



Do a search for Black Hairstyles or African American hair salons and you should be able to find a salon in your area. You may even want to start your search on www.blackvoices.com



Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment